Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Introducing Maddux Paul

Maddux Paul was born on October 8th, 2013 at 7:49 pm. He weighed 9 lbs 2 oz. and was 21 inches long. Here is his birth story:

We had an induction date of October 8th several weeks in advance. My doctor was fairly confident that Maddux would be quite large and because of gestational diabetes and a history of preeclampsia, plus a few scares with blood pressure fairly close to my due date, my doctor and I decided that if he had not come by October 8th that labor would be induced. 

Matthew and I actually went in on October 7th at 9:00 pm because I was only 1 cm dilated and about 30% effaced, so they had to insert a Cervidil (for cervical ripening) 12 hours before they wanted to start Pitocin. We arrived at 9:00 pm and the nurse took us to our room and admitted us to the hospital. She started my IV and I signed a bunch of papers and answer a bunch of questions. Then she inserted the Cervidil and put the fetal monitor on me and she left me for the night to "sleep" (aka - come into my room every hour because the hospital beds in Labor and Delivery are uncomfortable and I've shifted and the fetal monitor has shifted around and they don't have the baby's heartbeat on the monitor anymore.) I slept pretty restlessly all night and was having contractions the whole time. 

In the morning, my doctor came in and checked me. I was still only about 60-70% effaced and was only at 2 cm dilated, but we started Pitocin around 9 am. After we started Pitocin, my contractions started picking up. It was nothing unbearable, but they were regular and uncomfortable. The nurse checked me around 11 and I was still only about 3 1/2 or 4 cm dilated. I didn't want to take the pain medicine that they had because I had it when I was in labor with Maggie and it made me loopy and unable to focus. I asked for an epidural around noon, hoping to be able to sleep before I had to do any pushing :) 

The anesthesiologist came in around 12:30 or so and began my epidural. It went smoothly and once it was in I was MUCH more comfortable. I slept for awhile on and off. Around 3:30 while my doctor was checking me, I had a contraction and my water broke. I was 6-7 cm dilated at that point and it seemed to me like things were progressing slowly at that point. Around 5:30, I began to feel a lot of pressure. No big deal, it just means that baby's head is getting closer and that the urge to push will be here soon and he will be born fairly soonish. Then, I began to feel a ton of pain with every contraction. It's hard to distinguish pressure from pain. But I was definitely feeling contractions and I wasn't supposed to feel contractions with my epidural, just pressure. The anesthesiologist came back and gave a boost to my epidural. Pressure was still there, but pain was gone. 

I began pushing around 6 pm or so. My doctor came in and watched me push for a few contractions. She was optimistic and told me she'd be back in about a half hour to see what my progress was. I kept pushing and my heart rate started to go up. The nurse was a little concerned and asked me if it felt like my heart was racing. I said no, it didn't. Apparently my heart rate was climbing to 160-180 every time I pushed. My doctor came back and watched me push again. She said that I was making progress every time I pushed and that my pelvis was wide enough, but that baby's head wasn't coming down any further. She and I agreed that I would "labor down" (Google it) and when she came back, she'd see what my progress was. I did that for about a half hour and when she came back, I began pushing again. This time, my heart rate climbed and baby's heart rate dropped every time I pushed. She was concerned about that, obviously, and I got oxygen. As I kept pushing, baby's heart rate began to drop and then not recover when I stopped pushing. At that point, we all decided to call it. That was not a risk I was willing to take any further. 

I signed the papers and was prepped for a c-section. Matthew looked quite queasy when the doctor asked him if he wanted to be in the operating room during the c-section. I told him he would be sitting by my head and I would be draped, so he wouldn't be able to see anything he didn't want to. He agreed and I was wheeled into the operating room and prepped while he scrubbed and got dressed to come in the operating room. I had a GREAT nurse in the OR who was there to stand by my head and tell me what was happening next so I'd know what to expect. They began the c-section and I was sort of just at the mercy of what the nurse told me was happening. She told me I'd feel a lot of pressure and tugging and then all of a sudden, I heard a baby crying. :) It was a weird experience - the "pressure" that I felt in the OR did not even begin to compare to the pressure I felt in my pelvis when I had been pushing. I was expecting something gut wrenching and it really wasn't. They brought Maddux around the drape so I could see him and then they took him to be weighed. While he was on the scale, he peed. :) Glad to know his plumbing works!

They sewed me up and while they were doing that, Matthew went back to the recovery room with Maddux and got to hold him. The sewing up was worse than the taking out - I even asked at one point, "Am I supposed to feel like my ribs are being crushed?" I threw up while I was laying there. I felt like I was doing pretty good if that was the only time during labor and delivery that I threw up :) After I threw up, I was freezing. I laid in the OR and they after they were finished sewing me up, they brought me blankets and wheeled me back into the recovery room. 

A lot of people have asked me if I feel any guilt about having a c-section. Although I didn't feel like that was my ideal delivery, I also am happy to have a healthy baby. I don't feel any guilt about the way that things went down. I made the best decisions I could make with the information I had and the circumstances being what they were. That is obviously the goal - not the method of delivery :) 

And now, some pictures:


  1. Sooooo happy for you guys! Bethany and I will be going through it around spring time...I am so excited! Congrats to the new parents! (a second time) :) - Jared

  2. What a handsome little guy. Some day, I would love to see you and your growing family; and to meet Maggie and Maddux.
    Loved reading about Maddux's arrival. BTW, no guilt should be had on a c-section. God had a plan, we have a plan too; but our plan doesn't count.
    Blessings to you and your family.

  3. So, I wrote you a note here 2 days ago. When I hit enter, it said it would be posted after it had been "approved." It's not here, so I guess it wasn't "approved."

    Loved reading the birth story of Maddux. What a memory to cherish, and a little boy to hold and love. Someday, I would love to see you again with Matthew, Maggie, and Maddux.

    I don't know why people would ask you if you felt guilty about a c-section. If anything, I would feel thankful for technology and knowledge available to have a c-section and a healthy baby. What a blessing.

    Hope and pray things are going well for you at home with your growing family. Oh, and watch out for those boys when you change their diaper. '-)

    God Bless,
    Mrs. Lotz